Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Wednesday 22 July 2009

New school

A new school is being built right next to the main road west out of town. The whole project has been controversial ever since Day 1. Basically it is to replace Kingsland Primary School (built on the King's Land) on the north side of the town around a century ago, and whose population has now outgrown the building. Land nearby was suggested, and, I believe, offered, for the new school but excuses as to why this land should not be considered were several - and stupid. It feels like this site beside the main road and nowhere near Kingsland has been railroaded through by members of the council, for whatever reason, despite massive opposition from parents, and other interested parties. To most of us the new site is a most ridiculous choice, but as you can see work is progressing nonetheless and I think it is due to be completed next year. It continues to be controversial in the choice of name. Should it remain Kingsland, or take on a new name with the new building, something that will reflect the area where it is now to stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!