Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 14 May 2010

Dilkusha again


Here's Dilkusha's other side. You can see what a commanding position it holds, and below it is Dilkusha Lodge, especially for Andrew!

2 comments:

  1. Great photo Evee. Looking at the scene I don't think anything changed in 40 years.

    The house at the bottom is not Dilkusha Lodge though. Dilkusha Lodge was originally at the entrance to the main house which is on the left of your picture. If you go around the corner at the bottom of Springhill Road to your left you will see a little cul-de-sac. That was originally the entrance to Dilkusha and the houses to your right were the stables and Dilkusha Lodge was beside the gate. It had a large garage which probably kept the big houses Bentleys or Rolls Royce's. I used it for my motorcycle!

    We bought the lodge in the late 50's for 900 pounds! Probably a weeks stay in the Hydro would cost you 900 pounds now-a-days.

    Love your photo's and if its not to much trouble would love to see the old house again and see if the entrance gate is still there.

    The owners of Dilkusha must have made their money from the British Raj in India because they gave it an Indian name. Would be interesting to find out their history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mum and gran come from peebles and i worked at the dilkusha (hotel) when i was 17. i'm now 45 so it was a long time ago, but glad to see it's not changed much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!