Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Thursday 29 July 2010

More shops



I've only been in Peebles for 23 years, but nearly every shop in the High Street has changed hands in that time. Baguette Express was Sclater's Hardware Store. It was a treasure trove and is sorely missed. Head to Toe? Well I can't remember what it was when I first came here. Now it sells, nice perfumes, soaps, toiletry gifts, cards..... Then in the tiny shop at the end, next to the courtyard of the Tontine Hotel is an optician. Again I can't recall what is was, but it has had several incarnations over those years, I think.

Looking back at all these shops in another 23 years could be very interesting! I just wish I had pictures of them from 23 years ago.

3 comments:

  1. Where Baguette express is it was a grocers William Low in the 60's until it closed and in the early 70's it was a cafe / bakers ( possibly crawfords)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little shop at the end was Prentice's sweet shop in the mid 70's (changed in the late 80's I think). It was the recipient of most of my pocket money through my prime sweet eating years!
    I remember being about 7 or 8 when they got rid of the half pence piece and all the 1/2p sweets were suddenly 1p the next day...an outrage. I tried to get the other kids to make banners and protest at the 100% price rise so they'd sell them 2 for a penny, but no-one could be bothered.

    Those were the days when you could get a packet of Wotsits for 5p (3p in the shop beside Priorsford School!) and a Mars bar was an extortionate 18p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure the spot that became Sclaters is where there was a video rental shop for most of the 80's.
    CD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!