Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Saturday 11 April 2009

The old cinema

It was Peggy my long-while penfriend in Arkansas who made me think of what my next picture would be. She asked if the street had changed much and I said no, it was very recognisable from old pictures, but thinking about new builds, I reckoned that the old cinema must be about the most recent of the High Street buildings - though thinking about it now, I know I am wrong!

Anyway, today's pic is of the old cinema, regardless. Like many others around the country it was built in the 1930s, obvious by its Art Deco style of architecture. I just think it's a shame no-one thinks of keeping the paintwork looking nice. My friend David says that he was the last person to have it painted and that would have been about 12 years ago when he lived in the flat above the shop, some time after the conversion! I think it would be good to take a leaf out of New Zealand's Art Deco city's book and paint the building in pretty colours. I do like the Art Deco style! Shame this isn't the best of examples, with Semi-Chem now occupying the shop at street level where presumably current film posters were once displayed outside in glass cases and Art Deco doors led into the foyer. I wonder if anyone still has a photo of the original frontage.

I don't remember when it was still a cinema as it must have closed about 25 years ago maybe, and I've only been here for 22. When I was a youngster, Peebles was a place we visited often, generally for tea after a weekend "walk in the country", so it's little wonder I remember the tearoom above the baker's - and that's where a more recent build comes in, more anon! - but don't remember the cinema, the station, the mills, for example, all of which are gone now.
We have to go to Edinburgh or Galashiels these days if we want to see the latest films, though occasionally an old or classic film is shown at the Eastgate theatre.

Talk again soon.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a boy in the 60's the highlight of the week was to go to the movies on the Saturday morning. Kids were charged 3 pence to get in and a bar of McCowan's Highland Toffee cost 3 pence so that was almost all of my pocket money gone. I remember at the back of the cinema there was a fire exit door and we used to open this door so our friends could sneak in for nothing. My favour weekly serial was the Lone Ranger and the film always ended with the Lone Ranger hanging over a cliff or something and you had to wait a week to see if he would be rescued, needless to say he always was. Kids now-a-days have everything but I'm sure they are not as happy as we were going to the cinema on Peebles High Street.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Evee,
    I emigrated to Australia in 1969, the same year as another local boy Eric Bogle the folk singer and songwriter did. He will be touring Scotland this year and will be giving a concert at Peebles High School in September. A must see! Love your pictures as they bring happy memories of days long ago. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!