Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Sunday 14 June 2009

Beltane Festival


Sunday afternoon and the heavens have opened! Typical Beltane weather! Rain, rain and more rain! To think the original Beltane was at the beginning of May, and at some time in its Peebles history -because Beltane was/is a pagan festival and is not exclusive to our town - it was put back to the middle of June because the weather was expected to be better! Huh!!


Let's hope today hasn't set the pattern for the week. It would be good if the rain could stay away on the main festival days, Wednesday for the intallation of the cornet - the leading man - and his lass, and the rideout, more of which on Wednesday, then on Saturday, when the primary school kids all get dressed up in fancy costumes for the "pomp and circumstance" of the crowning of the Beltane Queen.
Andrew, my loyal Peeblean reader in Oz, will be looking forward to a photo of the "crowning"! The festival brings many Peebleans back to their native town for a nostalgic look back to the days of their youth! Maybe one day that will include you, Andrew!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Evee, you bet I'm looking forward to seeing your photo of the 'crowning' Remember your camera is our eyes here down-under and other far away places. Although the weather looks guy dreich in your picture. Do you know the year they changed the festival to June, I always remember it being held in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, I have to make a confession. I'm going away to Ireland tomorrow for a couple of weeks and won't be here for the rest of Beltane week. However I have written a blog for each of the days and have put in a few photos which will include one of the Beltane Queen of another year and her court on the church steps.
    No idea when they changed the date but I think they should go back to May! Beltane week is often very wet, and it's such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well 'such is life'. Enjoy Ireland.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!