Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Wednesday!

Today is one of the big highlights of the week. The Cornet, our leading man, and his Lass (it's the Scottish word for a girl and can also signify a girlfriend or wife) are "sworn in" and instructed to look after the burgh standard as they ride the Marches or boundaries of the town, returning along the route that brings them through the river Tweed at the ford. "Safe oot, safe in!" (Go out safely and come back safely) being the instruction to the principals and their followers on horseback, all 250+ of them!

It's quite a sight to see as they all splash through the river in a seemingly unendless procession.


Following the Fording, the horsemen and women - horsepeople just doesn't sound right - gather on a slope below Hamilton Hill for some horse racing, the coveted big prize being the Beltane Bell.


Later in the evening the crowds gather in the High Street to see the principals of the festival dance an Eightsome Reel, a Scottish circle dance for 8 people, accompanied by the Peebles Pipes and Drums, and thereafter the prizes for the race winners are presented by the Cornet and his Lass. That's usually the end of the night for the watchers, but I am sure the parties go on well into the small hours for the principals! Hope they all have a great night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!