Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Wednesday 3 February 2010

A burgess farm


Another interesting picture. Behind the green gate and the garage doors is Porterfield Farm, right in the centre of the town. It is apparently the last of what was known as a "burgess plot", which dates back to medieval times. Parallel to the river here - Cuddy Burn - on the far side of the buildings you see at the top of the picture, is Northgate, the road from the north into Peebles. So, the medieval town being quite different from what we have today, the land between the road and the river was divided into strips which I expect were owned by the burgesses or the higher echelons of tradesmen and master craftsmen of the town, on which they grew vegetables, maybe kept a few animals.....

Gradually as the town grew and spread along the Northgate, houses were built by the road, and soon the burgess plots were subdivided and houses began to stretch down the slope and along by the river. Porterfield's house on Northgate is about 300 years old but the plot is still intact, all belonging to the present owners Gus and Catherine. Was Porter a medieval burgess? Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!