Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Monday 22 February 2010

Inside the Tontine Hotel

Not doing well here, am I? Note to self:- I must do better!

Well, today I treated myself to a cup of tea and a jam and cream scone at the Tontine Hotel, in the lounge they are now calling the Callants Lounge. It's rather elegant again these days since its redecoration in its Farrow & Ball greens.

This other picture is of the dining room, the Adam Dining Room, probably once the ballroom, or originally the Assembly room. I love the raspberry red with the white woodwork. It's a beautiful room with those wonderful windows looking out over the valley, grecian-style wall niches and Adam fireplace. What you can't see is the gallery above me supported by classical columns. One day I might get a photo from the other end looking back!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I want to dine in there. It looks liek a place a lady could still wear white gloves....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the Tontine was built by the French prisoners during the Napoleonic wars, I never knew that! Served my apprenticeship at Valleyfield Mills Penicuik where there is a monument to the 300 French prisoners who died there. Evee,do you know any other places in Peebles with the French connection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same as Monique when my husband, Graeme, and I visited Peebles with my in-laws (stayed with Rob the Gasman at Benrig!). We were enjoying a lovely afternoon tea when the tranquility was broken with a hearty "Ogi-ogi-ogi! Oi-oi-oi!" In stumbled a member of the Welsh rugby team...very drunk, wearing a crooked jester's cap and wrapped in the Welsh flag...huge smile plastered on his face. We spent about 40 minutes trying to get past each other's accents, and had a very amusing conversation with him and a couple of his team-mates; one with his jaw wired shut. It was such a comical juxtaposition! The BEST afternoon tea we've ever experienced, at the lovely Tontine. Thanks for the blog, Evee. We feel a little closer because of it.

    From across the pond in Canada,
    Janna Logan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!