Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Thursday 5 February 2009

Apologies for absence

Apologies for absence. Excuse: an old and decrepit computer!


So, to the picture.... this beautiful building, built, surprisingly, in the 1930s, serves a variety of uses for the Scottish Borders Council, and includes the new Sheriff Court where local misdemeanours are dealt with. In the days of town councils this was Peebles' council buildings.

It replaced an older building built in 1857-8 as the poorhouse for the surrounding area, where the poor, elderly or infirm often ended up when there was no-one else to support them. It was always a dreaded fate to end up in the poorhouse, but as a last resort it was shelter over their head and food, however rudimentary. The Peebles poorhouse closed and was demolished in 1930. In the 1881 census a young unmarried mother and her baby of two months are seen to have been among the inmates at Peebles. All inmates were classed as paupers.

Recently, the police station was relocated in new buildings to the rear of the building, seen by most of the Peebles residents to be a ridiculous move, as it is situated way out of the town centre on the edge of town - not so user-friendly, if indeed that is the right expression!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!