Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 13 February 2009

Cabbage Hall!

What a wonderful name this house has!
"Cabbage Hall",
the home of Peter and Juliet, a well known couple in the town.

I wonder how and when it got its name. Having visited Peter and Juliet a few times I have had the chance to see the layout of the house, which is quite interesting with its two staircases to the upper floor, and little rooms leading off each other. Peter and Juliet are both quite "bohemian" and I love the way the house decor has evolved! I expect that if the family were to sell the house a lot of work would need to be done on it, but it's not going to fall down in the near future and it is great the way it is!

Behind, and visible above the house is the Burgh Hall at the back of the Quadrangle at the Chambers Institution, and between them on the slope is a large vegetable garden, tended by Peter and Juliet.

P.S I was going to give you this picture in a few days time, but a discovery has made me want to share it earlier. Since I discovered that the father-in-law of an ancestor died at Tweedgreen Cottage I have been on a mission to find out where that was/is. To that end I wrote to the local paper and as a result of its publication today, I had a call from Peter to say "Look no further!" Cabbage Hall was once known as Tweedgreen Cottage, and at some other time was Briar Cottage, but Cabbage Hall was still the original name. I hope to see Peter tomorrow to look at the deeds he has of the house! How exciting to find that my family had a connection with this lovely old house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!