Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Sunday 8 February 2009

School Brae

Behind the pavilion (see 5 January) the road uphill connects the Green with the High Street, emerging onto the street through the arch through the old Town House (29 Jan). At the foot of the hill, the buildings on either side of the bottom corner of the street give School Brae (hill) its name, having once been the Burgh School on one side and the Grammar School on the other.

The smaller Grammar School closed around the end of the 19th century, while the Burgh School expanded into brand new premises at Kingsland to the north side of the town, next door to the poorhouse, in 1901. (Amid great controversy, Kingsland School is now on the verge of moving to yet another new building on the west edge of the town which is under construction at the present moment.) The old Burgh School was converted into flats.

Half way up, past the Ex-Servicemen's Club, the Brae opens up into a small square where on one side is a small row of shops with accommodation above, designated the Craft Village - for further mention in the future. There are also, a Chinese restaurant and various small businesses in buildings near the foot of the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!