Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 8 May 2009

4? 6? or even 8?

I'm getting a few of my scrapbook pages onto my blogs these days! There are several of these wonderful lamps on the parapet of Tweed Bridge, though for the life of me I couldn't tell you if there are four or six! I rather think there are six! I showed you one of them on 10th February, and commented on the tiddly lamps at the top, but you couldn't really see the base too well, so here it is, looking a lot clearer. I suspect the fish is a stylised salmon, the fish for which Tweed is famous. It's certainly very impressive and makes me think of one of the spires in Copenhagen, Denmark, which is of four dragons with their long tails twisted upwards into the spire!

Having just looked up a couple of websites, I can now tell you that the bridge lamps date back to when the bridge was last widened in 1900, and that the fish are dolphins!? The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland has some interesting old photos of the bridge and one of the former lamps. Click here and when you get to the photos you can enlarge them by clicking them too! I can also tell you that there may even be eight lamps! I'll have to go out and count them, and I'll tell you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!