Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Thursday 28 May 2009

A pub for Andrew

This should be a familiar sight to Andrew in Aussieland who has been good enough to comment on the blog here!
The pub took its name from the castle just outside Peebles which I have to feature here one of these days. The plaque outside, between the windows mentions Oliver Cromwell's not very friendly association with the castle in 1650. Basically he wrecked it!

At street level, behind the frosted windows, is the public bar where many a young, and not so young, lad has got fu' of a weekend night. Sadly the ladettes are catching up! Behind the public bar is the lounge, with its comfy seating and its own bar, while the room at the rear has been converted into a restaurant. The lounge is sometimes used for entertainment, and the folk music club meets there every couple of weeks or so.

Hope this brings back memories, Andrew.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Evee your picture does bring back memories, but not of comfy seating and a restaurant. The only tucker, if I may use an Aussie expression you could get there was pickled eggs from a jar that stood on the bar and maybe a bag of potato chips.
    Am looking forward to seeing your Beltane Festival pictures. Not long now! Hope the sun shines on everybody on the day.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!