Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Modern History

When I was a child in the 50s, air raid sirens were still tested every so often, and were used to summon retained firemen to the firestation when they were required to go out and fight a fire.

Gradually, without it really being noticed by a small child who hadn't grown up in the war, the sirens stopped. I do remember a few being dismantled in Edinburgh, like the ones on the old "Tardis" style police boxes but I didn't give them much thought at all.

Last week a piece of news hit the front page of the Peeblesshire News. During the restoration work being carried out on the steeple of the parish church at the moment, a discovery was made. Peebles' old siren was found way up at the top, still connected to the electrical supply, but forgotten about for about 50 years. It has now been lowered by ropes from its hiding place and is to become a feature in the museum.

This photo was taken early one Sunday morning recently - hardly a car in sight, and certainly no pedestrians or workmen either! The steeplejacks say they should finish work this week! Anything else to be found before they do, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!