Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Saturday 30 May 2009

Veitch's Corner

The east end of the High Street, where it meets the Eastgate and Northgate has been known as Veitch's Corner for many a long year, the name taken from the draper's shop on the corner, which now sadly has closed after a long family connection with the building. It is greatly missed.

Those of you who have not been in Peebles for many years will see a great many differences, but I expect the view is still as familiar, with Ven Law in the background covered in cultivated forestry!

The two fancy lamp posts stand outside the Chambers Institution, and almost hidden by the one on the right is the Mercat Cross.

6 comments:

  1. My Grandmother was born in Peebles in 1886 and she was a Veitch up until she married a harrison when she was 24 I was in peebles on holiday this week and looking for more Veitches any connections would be greatly received Lee-Ann Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. my cousin jean...early 50s by now? married a veich. she was jean hodge, be great to get in touch with her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr A Veitch stood at Veitch's corner on the 5/8/10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    There are Veitches in my family history too. I had a granny Veitch. Don't have the details to hand at the moment but the family names involved would be Glendinning and Veitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has only come to light in the last week that there was a Veitch in my Grandfather's side of the family.My Granfather's nephew married Agnes Heron, her mother was Christina L Veitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a direct descendant of James Veitch, who emigrated to Calvert County, Maryland (later USA) in 1651 from Roxburgshire, Scotland. James's father, Malcolm, was the second son of Laird John Vaiche and his wife, Janet Stewart, who then lived in Dawyck House, Peebleshire, south east of Peebles. We will be visiting Scotland, especially Edinburgh and Peebles in May, 2012. We wish to visit Dawyck and also see where Malcolm was living when James was born in 1628. We have the name of Muirdean or Muirdeen as that place. Do you know where that is? Of course, we wish to see Peebles and Veitch's Corner. Can you give us suggestions of other places in the area to see, retracing the steps of our ancestors?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!