Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 29 May 2009

Peebles Fish Bar

The "chippie" is a fundamental part of Scottish life! Every town has at least one, to cater for the tastes of the Scots (and the English! They have them too!) quite often after the pub has closed and a "wee snack" will go down well!


I know you folks in the Netherlands at least, find the combination of fish and chips quite strange, but to us it's perfectly normal, and extremely enjoyable, given a good chippie. A portion of fish'n'chips is known as a Fish Supper here, though I know different regions in England have their own name for it, e.g. a fish paper in the northeast. However you are not restricted to Fish Suppers. The menu usually includes pie suppers (Scotch pies or flaky pastry mince pies), haggis suppers, black, and maybe white, pudding suppers ( blood puddings or meal puddings, like sausages)..... and these days a portion of curry sauce is an additional favourite! Not a curry fan myself!


You've ordered your preferred Supper, the fish and a scoop or two of chunky chips - not those skinny little fries for us - has been dished up in a polystyrene tray - it was newspaper in my young day - and the question shoots over the counter at you "Salt'n'sauce?" Salt you will understand, but the sauce in question is chippie sauce, brown sauce! Not for us your tomato ketchup! It's broon sauce! You do also have the choice of vinegar of course!


These days chippies have branched out into pizza making, which is a welcome addition, IMHO, to the menu, and one or two also sell baked potatoes with a variety of toppings! An attempt to get us to eat more healthily I suppose! However, don't get me wrong here, we don't eat fish'n'chips all the time! It's just a nice change now and again, quick and easy!

1 comment:

  1. Your photo of the Peebles Fish Bar has made me hungry for a good old Peebles fish supper! Here in Sydney the fish and chips are just not the same.

    Last year I was in Holland and their chips are really good and cheap. Patat Met, chips with mayonaise sold in a large paper ice cream cone. The Dutch consider raw herring a delicacy and in Haarlem where I stayed there were plenty street stalls selling them.You pick it up by the tail and then let it slide into your mouth gradually. Not to my taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!