Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 16 January 2009

Around the Quadrangle

The buildings that now make up the Chambers Institution are built round an inner courtyard, the Quadrangle. Access is through the arch from the High Street through the old house on its north side. At the far side, to the south is the Burgh Hall, where many different events take place, from concerts and plays to craft fairs and coffee mornings. The west wing houses the museum, while opposite on the east side of the Quadrangle is the beautiful Peebles War Memorial. I will leave the War Memorial for description another day, and concentrate this picture on the view to the south west.

Obviously this wasn't a photo I took today! In the corner is the Registrar's, with the Burgh Hall to its left and the west wing to its right. The War memorial is on the left. More of it anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!