Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Saturday 24 January 2009

Cuddy Bridge

This bridge over the Cuddy Burn is the present day access to the High Street from the west. The Cuddy is a tributary of the river Tweed - just Tweed to its friends - and here it is (the Cuddy)running downstream, under the bridge and on for a short distance to meet the larger river. The name Cuddy comes from a pool further up where horses or cuddies were brought from one of the old coaching inns to drink.



On the right is a little row of "colony" houses, similar to those you will find in Edinburgh. The upper floor houses are reached by steps up to the landing on this side, while the downstairs houses have their front doors on the street behind. They have different addresses too. The upper houses are Bridgehouse Terrace and the downstairs ones are Biggiesknowe, which is an old corruption of Bridgehouse knowe, a knowe being what the English would call a knoll or hillock. I'd say the little narrow street was dug out of the slope or hillock behind it. Before the bridge was built entry to the town would be along Biggiesknowe and turn right across the Tree (Trie) bridge to meet the Northgate (road to - and from - the north) and thus into the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!