Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Tuesday 6 January 2009

Facing south

The High Street, or main street, of Peebles is built along a ridge. In medieval times there was a castle at the west end that spread out along the ridge a short way. Nothing remains now of the castle itself, but some very old buildings on this side of the ridge are said to have been outbuildings. Instead, the parish church 1887 now stands in its place commanding a view along the High Street. At the other end is what used to be the Eastgate Church, but is now the theatre and arts centre, and the kirk of St Andrew's Leckie, whose steeple you can see on the right. The buildings in the foreground stand along the foot of the ridge facing south to Tweed Green and the river, and behind those are the backs of the buildings that line the High Street. Small, often enclosed, passageways between the buildings on the High Street give access to houses built down the northern and southern slope of the ridge. It's a lot like Edinburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!