Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Friday 30 January 2009

High Street

You'll find various styles of architecture along the High Street. Here is just one section, about the middle of the north side of the street.

The plain grey building, third from the right, is probably the oldest, dating back to maybe the 17th century, while probably the white building is the most recent. I'd say it has a look of 1930s Art Deco to it. To the right of the grey house, the creamy coloured building has a carved stone plaque on the wall, indicating that this was once a bakery. In fact, the baker's ovens are still in existence to the rear of the building, in a present day tearoom, called the Oven Door, through the doorway and along the passage between the jewellers and the fish'n'chip shop. Click to enlarge and you'll see it better.

The narrow bow fronted building with the triangular top and red tiles is strange and doesn't strike me as being very Scottish in style. Further along the High Street and into Eastgate (off to the right of the photo) is a double version of the same style. Above the Medical Hall on the right, the upper floor window pediments have some pretty decoration, but what I am annoyed at myself for missing out is a large sundial on the wall just out of shot. Another day, another photo then!
The street is seldom empty of cars. During the evolution of the town to what it is today, cars only made an appearance in the late 19th century, so no provision was made for the then unforeseen horseless carriages of the future. Car parking space is now at a premium which is why there are always cars on the High Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!