Welcome!

This blog is to introduce you to my town - Peebles, in the Scottish Borders - just one photo at a time, with perhaps a little description and maybe some history thrown in. I hope you will find it interesting. The title comes from a historical comment made by someone who preferred Peebles to the great and famous cities. I know how they felt. It's always a pleasure to return here however long you've been away.

If you want to make a comment, ask me a question, or merely just want to say "hello, I've dropped in", you can do that by using the comment section below each entry. (Just click on the word COMMENT and follow instructions. ) I'd love to know what you think of what you see of my town.

I don't have an expensive elaborate camera so the photo quality may not be brilliant, but I'd like to think my pics will please you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks to Mary H for the lovely designs I used for my background, and thanks too to all of you who have chosen to support my blog by becoming "followers".

Wednesday 21 January 2009

hardware - nothing to do with computers!

An institution in Peebles - Scott Brothers hardware shop, a treasure trove of odds and ends!
Go to Edinburgh to try to find something, and come home without! Try Scott Brothers and there most likely you will find what you were looking for!

The shop has passed its centennial birthday and is still popular in the 21st century. An effort to modernise and make it "self service" has been made, but the old feel of the place is still there: you deal with the staff over the counter, and what is great is that the shop front has probably stayed the same for years, and in the back shop the floor is still cobbled. I suspect it would have been a stall for animals, a stable most likely.

Along with boxes and baskets, airers and ladders, etc.displayed out in front, in the spring and summer trays of plants are laid out to entice you down the close at the side of the shop to see more in the yard at the back.

Derek at Scott Brothers told me, after I wrote this entry, that the business started with his great great great grandfather, and that it was wholesale before it became retail. They were the first in the town to stock parts for cars and bicycles, and there was a blacksmith's forge out at the back, one of the brothers being a blacksmith. The part at the back of the shop with the cobbled floor was where the cart was parked and the close at the side was once wide enough for the horse and cart to come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks fot looking at my photos of Peebles. It is great to read your comments, so thanks for writing!